Jack Jack(son of Jason Andrew Newman)

November 27th, 2009 . by Melissa

Jackson Andrew Newman arrived November 24, 2009 at 8:44 a.m. weighing in at 7 lbs. 4 oz., measuring 19.5 inches long.

After 4 hours of early labor at home we decided “this might be the real thing” and headed to the hospital at 2:30 a.m. We sat in the parking lot outside the emergency room for a few minutes deliberating whether or not we should go in. I didn’t want to be one of “those moms” who at the slightest hint of reoccurring pain, thought they were in labor. After all, I was only 37 weeks and 6 days along, who has their first baby two weeks early?? After a quick prayer, we decided we had better go in. I must have looked just fine (although I felt like crap to the tenth power) because I still had to explain to the receptionist what my ailment was… that I was pretty sure I was in the process of having a baby. They promptly (thank goodness) wheeled me up to the labor and delivery wing and I was immediately put into a birthing room. The nurse checked my progress and found that I was almost halfway through labor at 4-5 c.m. I couldn’t believe it, I definitely thought she was going to send me home and tell me to come back in 2 weeks when I was really in labor. At that point, I looked at Jason about to cry and told him I couldn’t do it, I just wasn’t ready…I needed two more weeks for this and that and…I’m a planner and although the idea of having the baby early was always enticing, I was really banking on my Dec. 9 due date. Regardless, the baby was coming. It took 30 minutes to process my blood work. Another 15 to fetch the anesthesiologist and another 15 to prep me for a little dosage of heaven-in-a-needle. This was the most painful hour of my life…I am amazed at anyone who has accomplished natural child birth. After I received my epidural, it took about 15 minutes to kick in. I finally began to feel relief. It was an hour later that the pain came back, but worse as I was further along in the labor process. Apparently, my blissful pain reliever had migrated in my spine and was no longer affecting the correct spot. The anesthesiologist came back in and gave me a dose of a different drug. I had a bad reaction; my lips tingled, my ears rang, and I spoke like a stroke victim. Luckily, it was just a test dose and wore off quickly. He decided to take my epidural out and reinsert it. I cringed…the first epidural wasn’t bad…but it wasn’t fun either.  I complied as the labor pains were just getting more and more severe. The second epidural worked like a charm. Almost instantly I began to feel tingling in my legs and soon after—numbness, ahhhhh. The doctor then came in and offered to break my water, since I was already at 7 cm. I accepted. The nurse told me to rest up for pushing. I tried to sleep but I was too anxious. I was about to meet our little Sesame Seed! I drifted in and out of sleep for just a bit and then two nurses came in with worried expressions. One of them explained to me that I would be needing the oxygen mask and helped me put it on. I knew from our prenatal classes that this is actually fairly normal, extra oxygen can’t hurt anyone, right? So, I didn’t freak out. I began listening to the fetal heart rate monitor and noticed every 2 minutes Jack Jack’s heart beat would drop slower than my own. This was what the worried expressions were all about. The oxygen, despite my efforts for slow and controlled breathing, wasn’t helping as the nurses had hoped it would. They tried to get in contact with the doctor but she was assisting another patient and wasn’t available. At this point, I was choking back tears and panicking over the thought of having to have an emergency C-section or the doctor not making it in time. Luckily, one of the nurses had an old trick up her sleeve. She helped roll me over so that I was on my hands and knees (not so easy with an epidural) and told me to arch my back like a cat and then touch my nose to the bed with my butt in the air. As soon as I posed myself in this very awkward position baby’s heartbeat perked up and raced on as normal. We all breathed a sigh of relief and I was allowed to return to a more modest body position. Immediately after, the doctor came and announced it was time to push. After 40 minutes of pushing and 6 hours of active labor, Jackson took his first breath. He was a little purple but pinked up fast. He apparently took a huge gulp of amniotic fluid on the way out and ended up with quite a bit of it in his lungs. A tube was put down his throat to suction out the fluid, Jason was by his side the whole time which made me feel much better since I was currently unavailable. He was weighed and measured and bathed and then placed back into my arms. What a wonderful Tuesday morning it was.

Now for the pictures!

7 Responses to “Jack Jack(son of Jason Andrew Newman)”

  1. comment number 1 by: Julianne

    Yay! Congratulations! Let us know if you need anything!

  2. comment number 2 by: Shayla

    Congrats! Thanks for the pictures and story! Can’t wait to meet him!

  3. comment number 3 by: Jennifer Lane

    Oh….he is so cute. And I had no idea about this labor story. I’m glad you are both healthy. I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU HAVE A BABY!! Reading this story makes me want to cry….tears of joy, of course. I can’t wait to see him!! CONGRATS!!!!

  4. comment number 4 by: Michelle Glauser


  5. comment number 5 by: Andrea S

    He is truly adorable! I am so excited for you guys. Your stories are always so entertaining! I am excited to one day meet him! CONGRATS!

  6. comment number 6 by: Julia

    Congrats, Melissa! You did a great job! Eldon had the same problem. His heart rate kept dropping and they actually stopped my labor (with some sort of drug) and all I really had to do was switch my position!! I’m so glad the epidural kicked in. Enjoy the holidays and Jack!

  7. comment number 7 by: Tasha

    YaY! So excited for you! He is so cute! Great job! You guys look great! I am so glad that everything went well! We cant wait to meet him!